hapa girl goes to japan. craziness ensues.

November 01, 2004

Halloween lasts forever some days.


dead man on train
Originally uploaded by sillyhapa.
Yesterday was Halloween, but it wasn't a very Halloween-y Halloween. Nick and I slept in enormously late, and I had little desire for costumes or candy, to be honest. Sometime in the afternoon I headed out to Roppongi Hills to buy some postcards for my friends (the museum store at Mori is supa-fly, by the way...), and though I only had about 600 yen to my name, also bought food for the apartment.

I'm not sure why I'm telling you the story of yesterday, except that it was an ordinary and extraordinary day. My life and not my life. Hm, maybe I should just continue. Nick and I have been surviving off of ramen with egg for far too long, so I bought baguettes and pesto and tomatoes and cheese and toasted some right fancy hors d'eouvres for the two of us before he headed off to Ginza.

Then it was David's birthday, so we met up at Musashi-Sakai for some nomihodai at Ikyuu (and got a free bottle of shochu for my october birthday!) with an interesting assortment of kids. Met a kid from the Air Force (or something, was I supposed to remember?) and his girlfriend, exchanged numbers so when they come into Roppongi for tequila tasting they can give us a ring.

Headed home around 11:30, fearing we'd missed the last train, and hopped into the car to find a large Japanese man SPRAWLED out, dead asleep in the middle of the floor. This delightfully ludicrous sight proved the catalyst for instant bonding with the other members of the car--without a doubt, more camaraderie with other train-riders than I've seen in my entire time here--who laughed and poked and took pictures and loudly commented on his sabishii state. Some time in between Musashi Sakai and Shinjuku, we started chatting up the cute girl across the aisle who spoke English really well (between the two of us, who could say no?). Turns out she lives really close to us, so we exchanged numbers and info before parting.

Then we headed home to our neighborhood restaurant, Alambique, a posh little place that Nick and I frequent so often, they give us drinks half off (or free) and extra food, and, you know, all that other stuff that happens when you're friends with the cooks and servers and bartenders. We hung out while they closed up, and then Rin (the captain of the bar?) came back to our place and hung out til like 3 in the morning.

Wow, my life sounds like...cool, and fun. I mean, I don't really make it sound like that (my detached tone doesn't imply much in the way of enjoyment, does it), but this is the stuff of Caleb's Crazy Tales from Paris (except everyone would be speaking French, and there would be a lot more "But I am le tired") or Pilar's Stupendous Tales from Brasil. Huh. Who knew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home