hapa girl goes to japan. craziness ensues.

July 11, 2004

when will i post a happy post?

the gender dynamics of this place are making me uncomfortable. any american boy, with no discernible capital, becomes the most popular kid in town; japanese girls fall over themselves trying to befriend them, speaking in fractured english, embarrassingly eager. if you are a girl in japan, it is your job to be cute and servile. you will grow up to be an office lady or a teacher and most certainly a wife, and you will never be able to progress beyond these roles.  archaic, i know, and they have progressed beyond this as a society, but in practice, it still feels like this.  in everyday interactions, it still feels like this.

frustrating, to say the least.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lori! don't be so down, it's weird living in another country, and japan is very different from the usa. you'll get used to it in a bit. do you now understand how homesick i am when i'm here, in a different country where i have no family or a home? but i get used to it. the first week is always the worst.

keep trucking. i'll be there in a week. cell is 080-5051-4114. we'll hang out and i will pass on to you all the good places i know in tokyo :)

smile!

mai*

5:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We watched this movie (er, or part of it at least) in Japanese class that was about this woman who beat down on the Yakuza for a living. There was this hotel that hired her to rid their lobbies and suites of their henchmen. I don't remember what it's called. Anyway, she is by no means servile and is as very very aggressive and assertive (and kick ass) woman. But...that is just a movie. You should watch it. It was funny. I'll try to find out what it's called.

Jordan

10:37 PM

 
Blogger little lori said...

Hey! I think I've seen that movie too! funny

Anyways, tomorrow I'm going to do research at the university's Center for Gender/Sexuality Studies. I think I may want to write my thesis on Women's Studies in Japan, so we'll see what kinds of conclusions I come to after a bit more thinking/researching/experiencing.

MAI!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!

8:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiiii Whory Lori (and I don't mean to contribute to the gender discrimination by calling you Whory, it's just that Lori seems so plain without it)...

Anywho, I'm very sorry you're so lonely, and even sorrier that I won't get to see you or really talk to you for a whole semester.

(What? A semester, you say? What happened to Liz going abroad?) Well, you get to be the first of my Pomona pals to hear that as of now, I'm probably not going abroad. Which means you get the pleasure of my company (and I yours) for the second semester, assuming no change of plans. :)

Well, although this should be an email, it is not. And I am done.

Missing and loving you,
Liz

11:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

refinancing

9:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home