hapa girl goes to japan. craziness ensues.

August 22, 2004

Realizations in Japan


tsugumi
Originally uploaded by sillyhapa.
1. The world is a very small place. (also, I have famous friends)
Proof: Tsugumi, my 13 year old host sister, was trying to figure out the theme song to Mario Brothers on the piano. She showed me a video on her computer where this kid is playing the whole song on the piano, and she wants to imitate him. Before I can formulate the Japanese translation of "My friend at home who took lessons from the same teacher as me used to play that song too," the kid in the video turns around to smile at the camera and I realize that it IS my friend...it's Ben Kim! Internet superstar, even in a tiny rural town in Japan.

2. My host father is secretly fluent in English. (also, he is a genius)
Proof: I was showing him the TSL website to prove that I really was a journalist, and he started to read my article about the Scripps wall that was repainted/graffitied during the racial controversies at Pomona.
"Muzukashisugiru," I told him, insisting that the words I used to describe the incident were too difficult for me to translate, when all of the sudden he not only completely understands the article, but whips out an obscure Billie Holiday reference to the song "Strange Fruit" that I allude to in the article (but which he hasn't even gotten to yet), and starts explaining the meaning of her song and its reference to the lynching of slaves in the South. Um, WHAT?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home